Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My maltipoo just turned 8 one eye is completely white and

Customer Question

My maltipoo just turned 8 one eye is completely white and clouded and the other is starting to do the same . The vet here ( Waco,tx) said there is nothing I can do , please help she is like a child to me !
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

What condition did the Vet state she had that is causing the cloudiness of the eye?

Is she going blind or just developing cloudiness?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She said she worried diabetes ? So did extensive blood work
She thinks they are cataracts did blood work all was fine but very low thyroid is on thyroid medication . Said there isn't much we can do ? She is in science diet food
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tonight was the first time it appeared to me she is actually blind her left is completely white :( obviously it's more apparent in the evening

I asked because a cloudiness to the eye doesn't necessarily mean a dog is blind. It can occur for a variety of reasons.

Your dog may have glaucoma or Anterior Uveitis or a corneal ulcer or cataracts. Symptoms of Glaucoma include conjunctivitis (red eye), discharge from the eye, light sensitivity, possible swollen eye. As the condition worsens and pressure increases, the pupil can dilate and the cornea becomes cloudy. It is important to diagnose this early to save the dog’s sight in the eye. Depending upon the underlying cause for the Glaucoma, the other eye could also be at danger as well. Treatment depends upon identifying the underlying cause for the increased pressure in the eye. You can read more about this here;

Symptoms of Anterior Uveitis are similar and include redness, tearing, squinting in bright light, small or uneven pupil, cloudy appearance to the eye and a unevenly colored iris. Treatment for this condition may be topical or oral medication depending on the cause. You can read more about this here:

A corneal ulcer may also be to blame and may be caused by injury, eyelashes scratching the eye and has similar symptoms to those of glaucoma and anterior uveitis. The third eyelid frequently covers the eye so sometimes the eye is not able to be seen. You can read about this here:

You haven't mentioned that there were other symptoms of redness or discharge, so if that is true, cataracts might be the cause. You can read up on Cataracts here:

The following site goes over reasons for cloudiness of the eye.

However, some cloudiness as a dog ages is normal and called nuclear sclerosis. Cholesterol or triglyceride deposits can also cause cloudiness as well. If it is cataracts, there are treatment methods available including surgery. The cost of surgery is going to vary based on the surgeon and state involved. Where I live in NC, cataract removal is $1,000- $1,300 for one eyed and for both is an additional $500-700. Your best bet would be to locate a surgeon where you live. The following site may help you locate a surgeon:

Their office should be able to give you an estimate for the surgery. Be sure to find out what exactly is included in the estimate such as pretesting, and follow up visits.

The following site has information on what you can expect.

There has been some talk about drops that help with cataracts though this would have to be discussed with your vet. Here is a site that goes over this.

If your vet is not suggesting treatment and your dog is healthy, you might want to see a specialist. You can use the link below to find an ophthalmologist.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

hi again,

I'm following up to see if you had time to check with an ophthalmologist for your little one. I did notice two that are in dallas that might be within driving distance and one south of waco. Please let me know if you found this helpful.

Eye Care for Animals

*****/p>(###) ###-####/p>

Opens at 9:00 AM

Animal Eye clinic

5750 W Vickery Blvd #124

(###) ###-####/p>

Veterinary Eye Institute, PLLC

2285 Kathryn Ln

(###) ###-####/p>