Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

How do you keep a dog hydrated when the temp is above 100

Customer Question

how do you keep a dog hydrated when the temp is above 100 deg for 3-4 days and you and your pet are not used to it? Thank you Leslie
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 2 months ago.

Dealing with this excessive heat can be difficult some times. We have been having very hot weather with a lot of humidity here in the mid atlantic.

The best way to avoid dehydration (and heat stroke) is to limit the amount of time you are spending outside. This can be tough for many owners as some dogs need a lot of exercise. To combat this, going outside for walks in the early morning or late evening is best. It is a good idea to take water with you on walks and bring a disposable bowl or reusable dog water bottle such as a Gulpy ( Avoid electrolyte solutions like gatorade as the best way to get water into the body is water itself.

These are going to be the best ways to keep your dog hydrated and avoid heat stress. Take plenty of water with you on those walks and don't leave your dog outside for long periods of time unattended.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. I will stand by and await your response.