PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Got a 10 week old mini schnasure he has been puking every

Customer Question

Got a 10 week old mini schnasure he has been puking every now and then he has puked grass he ate I figure no big but he has puked up his food a few times he acts like he feels fine but he has had dry heaves a time or two he still eate and drinks he was heasat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ham
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ham?
Customer: Nope he acts fine he has a female husky for a play mate they fight he has been chewing on her bones though
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How many visits to the vet has Ham had?
2) Had he has any changes in his diet? human food?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he had 2nd round of puppy shots and no he has not had human food or change of diet

At 10 weeks of age, there's always a risk of parvo, distemper, intestinal parasites and other afflictions despite vaccines and deworming being on schedule. If this persists, please make sure that Ham is examined by your veterinarian. In the meanwhile, I can give you some instructions below on calming his stomach and using a bland diet to get him back on his regular food. Make sure to also keep a close eye on his stools. Vomiting is often coupled with diarrhea.

The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.

If your companion requires a more palatable food, try using pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Start small and give more as long as no vomiting is seen.

If this does not result in the improvements you’re wanting, it may be necessary to have your companion examined by a veterinarian and injectable medications for nausea administered. I’m particularly a big fan of Cerenia for vomiting as it tends to work quickly, does a great job and works for a full 24 hours.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy