Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

8 lbs. I got into my meds. Oxycontin 40 mg. He chewed it

Customer Question

8 lbs. I got into my meds. Oxycontin 40 mg. He chewed it into pieces. Then threw up. He is now sleepy. What do I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Is there any Acetaminophen in the tablets? If so, how many mg per tablet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not oxycodone. It is oxycontin
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Ok good.

If it's just the oxy, then we can see some pretty significant sedation and GI upset (nausea, vomiting). If he's sleepy but still responsive when you stimulate him, that is ok. In that case, you can usually just ride out the signs over 4-6 hours.

If he's not very responsive, then I would worry about significant mental depression. In that case, I would take him in to a vet where they can give a reversal medication- Naloxone. Most of the time it's not needed, but occasionally we'll see one so sedate that it's recommended.

He's pretty small, so watch him closely over a few hours in case he needs to get in to an ER vet.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

You're welcome.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?