Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My basset has on his jowls. It isn't grass stain, it doesn't

Customer Question

My basset has green on his jowls. It isn't grass stain, it doesn't smell but it is irritating him. We have never seen anything like this and we have had bassets for many years. We are in Hawaii and he tends to get issues under his mouth due to the constant wetness. We clean him with anti-bacterial soap but it doesn't seem to be helping.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the basset's name and age?
Customer: Harvey, 8 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harvey?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear about this in Harvey. I understand the wetness; I lived on the Big Island for 3 years. You appear to be describing a lip fold dermatitis which describes a superficial bacterial infection common within skin folds. The presence of green is pathognomonic (particularly indicative) of a bacterium called Pseudomonas which can be very difficult to cure. The following is a synopsis of how to care for a lip fold dermatitis but if you didn't see a positive change, it would be prudent to culture the affected skin to see which bacteria are present.

1) Cleansing wipes (i.e., alcohol-free acne pads, baby wipes, chlorhexidine-containing pledgets, other antimicrobial wipes) used every 12-72 hours work very well.

2) Alternatively, routine topical therapy can be used to control the skin problem. The affected area should be cleaned every 1-3 days as needed with an antibacterial shampoo that contains chlorhexidine, benzoyl peroxide, or ethyl lactate. These shampoos can be found over the counter in pet/feed stores, online, or at Harvey's vet hospital.

3) Topical application of an antibiotic ointment, solution, or spray every 24 hours for the first 5-7 days of therapy may be helpful. The safe prescription mupirocin ointment is available through Harvey's vet and should be considered.

5) Surgical excision of excess skin folds is usually curative. The prognosis is good but lifelong topical maintenance therapy may be needed if surgical correction isn't performed.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?