Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My 1 year old Yokie had a surgery on July 2 for a Luxating

Customer Question

My 1 year old Yokie had a surgery on July 2 for a Luxating Patella. This past week we noticed soft mass on the left knee. Our vet said it was the joint capsule leaking and drained it. It came back a hour later. Was this something that happened during the surgery or during healing time. Can we expect to have to do another surgery to repair this leaking.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about this mass on Dusty's knee. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Is he limping on that leg, or is he putting full weight on it? Does the mass feel warm?

This could be an infection, or it could be a reaction to the pins in his knee from the surgery. I would get a sample of the fluid, and look at it under the microscope, to be sure it is not infection. I would also take an Xray to see if the surgery pins are in place, that nothing has become loose or moved. It might need another surgery, but it might not; more information is needed.

Let me know if he is using the leg or not, if he is taking any medication, and what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is using the leg just fine. It does not feel warm. And the Vet did drain the fluid and checked it for infection. No infection was present. I did not realize pins were used in this type of surgery. They have not recommended xrays. They said to watch it and keep him from jumping and running. Which is difficult seeing as he is a year old puppy. My concern is if this happended during surgery or perhaps while he was healing. How long should we wait? And can this heal itself. We know it's the joint capsule that is leaking.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Good he is using the leg. If it were an infection, or a problem with pins, he would probably limp on it. I would get an Xray, if he starts to limp on it.

I assumed there were pins or some type of fixation, but you would have to ask your surgeon. I am a general practitioner, so I don't do this surgery myself.

If he is using it, that is a good sign. It could heal by itself. If it does not, then possibly the joint capsule may need to be sewn up, but there is a good chance that won't be necessary. Keep following up with your surgeon; he knows exactly what was done at the time of surgery.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Let me know how Dusty is doing and if I can answer any more of your questions. Was this helpful?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

How is Dusty doing?