Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My newfie has a horrible stench. When he shakes or even

Customer Question

My newfie has a horrible stench. When he shakes or even moves he stinks. Which in turn my house stinks and it's embarrassing. What possibly could be going on? He is eight years old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: His gums also are all black
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Samson
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. My name is ***** ***** I have been owner of 8 Newfoundlands for the past ten years.

One thing with Newfs is they get yeast infections and you can smell them coming from room to room and the whole house can stink.

Does the dog have any odor in the ears?

How about an odor on the the feet? Is the dog licking the feet?

How long have his gums been black is that normal or did they used to be pink?

Is there any scratching going on?

How often is he bathed?

What is the weather like where you live?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
His ears do stink. I do try to clean them. He doesn't get bathed as often as he use to as last year he tore his acl, so he can't get in and out of the vehicle. His gums had some black but also some pink. Right now our weather is very hot and humid but even when its not he still stinks :(
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He also seems to be having s yellowish goop coming from his one eye
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Newfy's age awful yeast infections and you can smell this in the ears and sometimes on the feet , and at times the whole body will smell like bad fritos or worse. The first thing is to have the ears checked because there may be an infection that requires medication and your Vet will want to do a swab to be sure. There are bacterial, yeast and fungal infections that a dog can get in the ear. It is best to determine which you are dealing with.

If you notice a licking of the paws more often then the dog likely has allergies and this can also cause yeast infections. If an allergy is the cause you will want to talk to your vet about Apoquel. This will help in a matter of days

You can get an over the counter ear drop that will work for bacterial and yeast ear infection if you want to try that first, but do know that ear infections are very painful. I keep this product in the house as all times and use it as a preventer once a week once the ear infection is cured.

I would also invest in a tub of Coconut oil and start warming and pouring that over the food daily as this does help with the smell. It may take a while, more than a week for you to notice a difference but keeping him on this regiment should help the overall skin and coat.

Bacterial skin infections can also make a big stink so you want to check the body for any pustuals which would be a good indication of this.

dosing for coconut oil

there are shampoos to use for bacterial ,yeast or fungal infections but you must know what you are dealing with and your vet would have to do a skin scraping to determine this. This is done in the office and you have an answer before you leave.

A discharge from the eye that has color to it can be due to infection as well. This should be looked at as soon as possible. If it were clear I would not worry too much and if it were both eyes I would think allergies but a colored discharge is worrisome.

Before I leave I wanted to let you know I am under a severe weather alert, so if you respod and do not hear back from me the power is likely out.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.