Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

My dog is 15 years old rat terrier and she woke up not being

Customer Question

Hi! My dog is 15 years old rat terrier and she woke up not being able to use her back left leg.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds
JA: What is the rat terrier's name?
Customer: she has not yelped and I feed her
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your rat terrier?
Customer: Miss Olive The vet has asked me to get chriropractor help and I have yet to do so
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Olive's difficulty. The lack of ability of using the leg, given the history of back problems, may be a herniated or "slipped" disc. The spine is made up of bones that have discs between them to be shock absorbers and allow it to be flexible at the same time. When this material becomes degenerative, it can become stiff and be prone to herniation. This herniation causes it to move into the spine column and can put pressure on the spinal cord causing deficit or inability to use the leg. When this occurs, surgery is the best option to remove the material and allow the spinal cord to be decompressed. If the herniation is minor, then medical management involves pain medication and strict rest to allow a scar to from over the site of herniation preventing further pressure on the spine. Unfortunately, however inability to use a leg is not a minor deficit and surgery may be the best hing to restore function for your dog. Other concerns we have in a dog of her age include cancer, meningitis or an infection of the vertebrae called discospondylitis. X-rays and other testing is required to determine which of these is going on and what needs to be done about it.

Does this address your concerns today? If so, I would appreciate a positive rating as this is the only way the website knows that I have been helpful otherwise I am not compensated for my time. If you have further questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to let me know as I strive for 100% customer satisfaction.

Best Regards,

Dr. Ellie

Hi Conni,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?