Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a deposit down on a Basset Hound puppy. The pictures

Customer Question

I have a deposit down on a Basset Hound puppy. The pictures from the breeder show that the inner corner of her eye has a predominant white triangle and doesn't look uniform with the other eye. Breeder says no big deal, but I'm not sure
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the basset's name?
Customer: She's only 6 weeks old, I haven't named her yet
JA: Got it. I'm sure you'll come up with a good name.
Customer: how can I tell if it's third eyelid or something serious? If it's just the third eyelid showing is that normal?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?
Customer: Not really - I have checked out the breeder, they own both parents, no eye problems
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you post the photo you have as this will let me see what you are seeing. To post a photo, you can use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Please see picture attached. If you can enlarge it, you will see the inside corner of her right eye is much more white than the other eye.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

With the enlargement of this photo taken that far away it isn't possible to determine if that third eyelid or if the eye itself is deviated to the right (our left) and showing sclera (the white of the eye). So, the key here is that if it is the sclera that is seen, as long as she can move her eye position to look towards her right and this isn't fixed in this position, then that is no worry. If she couldn't, then we'd be concerned about underlying neurological conditions.

Otherwise, if it looked like a white triangle of tissue over the area, then that is the third eyelid. This can raise intermittent in response to eye irritation and brewing infections. Again if it can go down and isn't up all the time, then we'd not be overly worried here. Of course, if it is stuck out or appears swollen (a "cherry eye") then we'd be concerned that we may have an issue that could need surgical repair to fix though from the photo this doesn't quite look like a cherry eye even at that photo distance.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )