Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My painter left his supplies where my dog found a container

Customer Question

my painter left his supplies where my dog found a container of dap 33 window glaze now what?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: nothing yet, but the container indicates that it is toxic and not to induce vomiting. the MSDS on line is
JA: Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: yes, he was licking the contets of the window glaze when I took it from him
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: 11 yrs old, shiba inu, takes meds...rimadyl and thyrosyn and apoquel
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

The glazes, caulks, and similar compounds do contain toxins - ethylene glycol often concerns us - but the amount of these toxins is very small and so the most I expect from his licks is transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea. There's no antidote to these chemicals and so we simply dilute them by overfeeding our patient and offering favored liquids such as milk, cream, broths, or bouilons for them to drink and dilute what was ingested.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I need to feed him more than he ate about 45 min before ingesting this stuff. The other two dogs are going to have issue with this, but I can try it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do I need to watch him all night? It is 6:30 here in PA. How long do I need to keep an eye on him?

Let all your dogs enjoy some milk, cream, broths, bouilons. That should suffice. No, if he were to become seriously distressed you would see that distress within an hour after ingesting the Dap. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
MSDS indicates that ingestion may cause liver and kidney damage...what is a large amt? it is an 8 oz container and I'm guessing he ate between one and two ounces

The only significant toxin is the petroleum distillates in that product and there isn't enough to cause significant toxicity even if 2 ounces were ingested. These distillates can cause transient GI distress, however, which can be avoided by diluting the ingested product.