Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have 5 week old puppies and after they nursed from the

Customer Question

Hello. I have 5 week old puppies and after they nursed from the bitch this morning one of the puppies threw up. The vomit looked milky with white chunks in it. In the last 30 minutes the pup threw up about 5 more times. I have separated her from the other puppies ( mainly because they would eat the vomit if I didn't ) and put water in the pups cage. Not sure what to do or if there is reason for concern
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can this pup drink? Can she keep water down?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Any chance of it getting into anything it should not have (ie plants, toxins, possible ingestion of a bit of toy, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Gums are pink. Fairly moist , maybe sticky in spots. No pain or discomfort when I press on her belly. I have not seen her stool yet. I have 9 puppies but have not seen any diarehea as of yet. No chance of getting into plants or toxins or chew toys. He is sleeping now on my lap has been about 30 minutes since his last throw up. he had just nursed when I noticed the vomit. The other pups ate their food after they nursed and I tried to feed him but he turned his head away. Water was in the cage just not sure if he drank.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to see that he doesn't have any of those red flag signs I asked about. Still with him being so young, we do need to tread with care since they are high risk for dehydration and blood sugar crashes when vomiting. Just to note, if we can exclude toxins then bacterial, viral, or parasitic agents would be our main concerns here. So, we do also need to watch the other puppies.

Now his refusal to eat (and likely drink) will be related to the same nausea that caused the vomiting. So, for the moment, we want to rest his stomach for a few hours. If you see any weakness/lethargy, you can rub some honey (or karo syrup, pancake or glucose syrup) on his gums to keep his blood sugar up. If he remains settled, we can tempt him to drink and re-offer food (his puppy food or you can try a bit of rice with boiled chicken, white fish, cottage cheese or scrambled egg). Whichever you feed, offer small amounts often to keep him from further vomiting.

As well, if he is very nauseous, we can give a small dose of an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Milk of Magnesia (0.25tsp every 12 hours). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And I would say that if he cannot keep that down due to nausea, then that tends to be our red flag of wanting him seen for injectable anti-nausea treatment from your vet.

Overall, we do need to be concerned with GI upset in pups since the risk of complications is very high with their minimal body reserve. So, we'd rest his stomach and try the above for him. Though any more vomiting or weakness and we'd want to have him checked to head this off and make sure we don't have anything that would be a risk for the other pups.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?