Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian

What could cause bad breath in my dog who has good teeth?

Customer Question

My 6 year old dog Maxine has very bad breath for the last few months. She has been to the vet and there is nothing wrong with his teeth. She has always eaten grass every day and sometimes vomits yellow froth. We got her from the dog pound when she was 18 months old. She had a lot of anxiety and has had treatment from dog psych. She is fearful of dogs and people until she knows them and is then super friendly.
She sometimes has a problem with anal glands and scoots around her bottom . Apart from getting dew claws trimmed and also her injections every year, she appears healthy with bright eyes, wet nose and shiny coat, etc.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 2 months ago.
Having your vet check her teeth is a great first step to determine why a dog has bad breath. If the teeth are normal, the next thing that comes to mind is that the smell is coming from her gut.
I would recommend the following things to try to see if it helps her breath-
-probiotics. I like Fortiflora, but there are other product available as well. Just make sure they have a dog label on them.
-diet change to one of the following- sensitive stomach formula, limited ingredient diet or hydrolyzed protein diet.