Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

She has pancreatitis. Vet gave meds for fever now temp is

Customer Question

She has pancreatitis. Vet gave meds for fever now temp is 99.r
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 99.4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about 99.4?
Customer: Rughe 5 years old
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is a Neapolitan mastiff
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

What treatments is she on? Has she been improving on them?

Has she been quite collapsed and inactive?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she is collapsed and inactive now. She is on antibiotics cephalexin and Cerenia once a day for nausea although she has never thrown up or had diarea. She was on fluids but now she is home.
She drinks water on her own.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Now her temperature has went down to 98.6.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Oh dear,

I am quite concerned that we have a progressive temperature drop and collapse. As you are likely aware, she should be at a temperature of 100.5-102.5. The hypothermia is likely related to her being collapsed but we need to be proactive here. So, if you have a heating pad or an electric blanket, we'd want to be using that now. Of course, keep a close eye that she doesn't overheat and make sure there is a towel between a heating pad and her skin to prevent skin burns. Otherwise, we may need to think about having her re-admitted to her vet for active warming and warm IV fluids.

Otherwise, if she is on Cerenia without vomiting, I would suspect she hasn't been eating. If that is the case, her vet may need to add in appetite stimulants and gut safe pain relief (which is quite important since humans report pancreatitis is be very painful). As well, if she has no vomiting then syringe feeding or use of a temporary feeding tube would also be indicated to get nutrition in and help her body maintain its own temperature.

Overall, it takes a serious level of collapse and being unwell for a large breed like Rughe to have such hypothermia. Therefore, we need to be very aggressive in her treatment. If she was my patient, I'd have her back in the hospital now to be actively warmed and to add in the above treatments to help with her pancreatitis. Because if we can maintain her and address this original issue it would give us the best chance of getting her back to feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.