Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I belive I accidentally gave my 65lb dog her benazapril 10

Customer Question

I belive I accidentally gave my 65lb dog her benazapril 10 mg twice today. Once this morning and once this evening.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Dog has multiple prescriptions right now for cancer and high blood pressure. Since I am giving meds 3 times a day, I was worried I may have given the blood pressure twice today.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Dog takes tramadol, carprofen and gabapentin for pain of cancer
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you need more information?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I called the vet ER and they referred to call a pet toxicology number

No that's fine for now, but we can always chat further after you have read my initial answer.

Working on it now ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am ok waiting for text response. She does not have acute symptoms. I was just concerned about what to potentially watch for.

Hello again

Sorry to hear about your dog's ongoing problems, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news! : I would not be too concerned about this as the maximum dose rate for this drug is 0.25 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight meaning a top dose of { 0.25 X 65 } = 16.25 mg in your dog's case, and under some circumstances you do give it twice a day anyway. So really the chances are your dog will be unaffected and there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on her.

2. Where I give owners information about drugs or dose rates I like to supply a link so they can check the accuracy of my answer and read more on how the drug is used in dogs : LINK

3. Where side effects do occur you might expect to see symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy or incoordination. The other drugs she is on should not cause any interactions with the extra dose of benazapril. Of course you should contact your local vet if adverse symptoms do occur, but this would be unlikely.

4. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Benazapril incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?