Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Lethargic. Lays flat. Wiggles but won'the lift up. 5 weeks

Customer Question

Lethargic. Lays flat. Wiggles but won'the lift up. 5 weeks puppy
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Puppy kids found
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Legs are splayed. I thought maybe worms
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is making a couple of whimpers but responds well to petting. Wonder if constipated?
Expert:  Candy replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I apologize that no one has assisted you. My name is***** just signed on and saw your question.

How long have you had this puppy?

Is he eating?

What color are his gums?

Have you seen him walk at all?

Do his legs seem to stick out to the side more then normal?

Does his chest seem flatter then normal?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not eating now. Has been eating. He has walked before. This has been the last few hrs. Gums are pink with black/grey. Thought he was dehydrated. Was able to get water into him. He has urinated.
Expert:  Candy replied 3 months ago.

OK thank you. While I am typing up your answer can you try giving him a little honey or regular pancake syrup and see if this helps. Also can you tell me when he ate last and if there is any chance he may have been injured?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Injury, maybe. He ate the pancake syrup well.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My kids found the momma and litter. They were still nursing.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He urinated again
Expert:  Candy replied 3 months ago.

Oh wow thank you so much for being willing to help these babies.There are a few possible things going on.

Injury- spinal and limb injuries are not uncommon in young puppies and can happen from something as simple as being stepped on.

Low blood glucose levels. Puppies if they do not eat every few hours are unable to maintain the proper glucose levels. This can cause lethargy, weakness, twitching, seizures and even death. If he is weak due to low glucose levels then the pancake syrup should help. Give this every 10 minutes for the next 30 minutes.

Illness such as parvo or distemper.

A condition called swimmers puppy syndrome LINK

Mae sure you are feeding momma puppy food to help with milk production and you can try and see if these babies will eat some soft food, chicken baby food or hard food that has been softened with water or puppy formula which can be purchased at most pet stores.

If this is injury or disease related then it is going to take a hands on exam for a proper diagnosis.

Most puppies have worms but it should not keep him from being able to walk.

Try the syrup and try to get some food in him. If needed you can use the chicken baby food ( make sure there is no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and feed via syringe.

If he does not improve and seems to be declining I would get him in to a vet as soon as possible.

I hope this helps give you some direction. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating . Rating indicates that you are finished with this session and prompts Justanswer to compensate me for assisting you today. I am not compensated for my time until you provide a rating.
Candy