Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My female dog was fixed around 8 months old.she is two yrs

Customer Question

My female dog was fixed around 8 months old.she is two yrs old now. I have noticed she is licking her self alot and there is a brownish red color around her pee hole/vagina what is it? Is she ok?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lulu
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lulu?
Customer: No she is up to date with shots. I'm worried
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 months ago.

Well, as a educated guess, that is salivary staining. Yes, the saliva, if a dog licks one area enough, can literally stain the coat a brown color. This is common for pets with underlying allergies, and there paws can literally get stained a brown color. However, the concern now is if there is a secondary infection present in the vaginal folds which is exacerbating the licking.

So, this is definitely worth a veterinary examination and make sure the vet takes a close look in the vaginal folds for infection.

So, not a serious concern, but well worth a examination.

Hope that information helps

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is it a bladder infection
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 months ago.

Maybe.

A urinary tract infection or vaginitis that is exacerbating the licking are definitely considerations.

It would not be unreasonable for the vet to recommend a urine test, even if there are no obvious symptoms of a infection like straining to urinate or urinating more often.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She licks it until there is white foam dripping out of her mouth. Is there anything I can do besides a vet
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 months ago.

No. I actually think if you wait too long it is going to be more costly, and possibly more painful for her.

Better to tackle it now and understand what is going on.
Sorry for th delayed reply but hope that clarifies.

I just don't see an effective or appropriate way to treat this situation since we don't know if the bladder is involved, if there is a active vagnitis,and addressing possible allergies.