Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My 4 month old golden has a swollen stomach, Charlie, she

Customer Question

my 4 month old golden has a swollen stomach
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Charlie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?
Customer: she has had some issues gaining weight and is small for her breed
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Charlie is having this problem.

Has Charlie had any diarrhea or vomiting?

Is charlie normal otherwise?

Has charlie ever been to a vet or been to a vet since you have had her?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Last visit to the vet was last Tuesday for her last round of puppy shots no bowel issues fairly normal just small 21 lbs
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

Is charlie normal otherwise?

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

Does the belly seem painful?

Did your dog just eat a big meal recently?

Is your dog on monthly parasite prevention (heart worm medication)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Belly does not seem painful. She is on a monthly parasite preventative
She had a large stomach when she was at the vet I asked about it and my vet wasn't concerned however it definitely has gotten larger and I began to add 1/4 cup of wet food to her 1 cup of dry food as the vet requested
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I see.

The large stomach could be due to worms, a full stomach from eating, or sometimes we can see mild gastric stasis (where the stomach does not empty appropriately). I would make sure she has a fecal check to ensure there are no parasites, however this big belly is likely normal for her, especially if the vet was not concerned at the last visit. The only other thing that would be done is an x-ray of the belly to see if there is something abnormal. I would try small frequent meals (3 small meals daily) and see if that causes any change. I would not give any medications as there is no indication of any medical problem yet.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome.

I wish you and your puppy the best.

Have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a wonderful rest of your day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I just wanted to check in. I never heard back from you. How is Charlie doing? Is there anything else I can help you with? Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish you both the best. Have a great day!