Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

He is 10 today'! And I gave him 4 grains of cottage cheese,

Customer Question

Hi, he is 10 today'! And I gave him 4 grains of cottage cheese, tiny, he's a chihuahua, and now he's dry licking non stop. I gave him a tiny bit of a 'tums'...I hope that's ok -I don't know what else to do...he's more settled, but breathing deeply, and looks like his tummy is bloated...please help and thank you!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No...normally healthy but can't take oily food...cottage cheese was a treat but it could also be a grass seed...very dry here
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear he is not feeling well.

I suspect the cottage cheese caused quite a bit of upset stomach. That is very common in dogs as some can be very sensitive to dairy products.

I would avoid any more tums as that can cause issues in some dogs due to the high calcium load.

What I recommend is to avoid any food until this evening and give a small amount of plain boiled chicken and plain white rice for dinner. Avoid any treats, human foods, or other foods in the mean time.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 2 months ago.

If there is any vomiting or diarrhea, I recommend a visit to your vet tomorrow.

He likely will get over the upset stomach with some time.