How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 14566
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our little one was chewing on a Hot Shot ant bait. We caught

Customer Question

Our little one was chewing on a Hot Shot ant bait. We caught him right away. What should we do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: West. He's 12yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about West?
Customer: He's a medium size dog. about 30lbs. A Kerin terrier
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I need to ask a few questions.
What is the active ingredient in the bait?
How much did he ingest?
How long has it been?
How much does he weigh?

Did he eat any of the plastic bait station or just the bait itself?

These are just questions that will help me help you, there's no additional charge for answering them or chatting further with me, but the answers will be very beneficial to get you the right recommendations.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Don't know the ingredients. Called Hot Shot ant baits. Not sure if he actually got any bait. About three hours ago. Mid size dog about 30lbs.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Thanks very much for trying to give me more information.

Let me see what I can find about this product. Although after 3 hours it would be too late to induce vomiting at least if I can find the active ingredients I can tell you what signs of toxicity to watch for.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Was this an old bait? Or was it a new one?

There are different ingredients depending upon when it was manufactured. If this is something purchased within the past 4-5 years it is the newer formulation.

If that's the case the active ingredient is Indoxacarb, which is an insecticide that affects an insect's nervous system. Dogs and cats are highly resistant to the effects of this toxin.

In toxicity studies in rats, rabbits and dogs symptoms of toxicity included weakness, lethargy, drooling, incoordination, inability to stand, and a head tilt. But the doses that produced these symptoms were very, very high.

In sub-chronic toxicity studies (90 days) on dogs, oral doses of 1 to 18 mg/kg/day no clinical symptoms of toxicity were observed. Mild anemia and slightly reduced weight gains were recorded at the highest doses.

The amount that your pup may have ingested was likely no where near even the lower end of the dose. I would not expect your pup to have any symptoms from the indoxacarb ingestion.

If he ate the plastic pieces that the bait is put in those can be sharp and cause a perforation or scrapes on his intestinal lining, and if he ate enough, a blockage is possible.

You can feed him a bland diet with added fiber to help cushion sharp pieces if he ate any plastic. A homemade bland diet consists of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice or well cooked pasta. Feed several small meals a day. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal to help increase fiber, which will help push pieces through and cushion the sharp edges as they move through.

Feed this food for several days and if he is doing well then in 2-3 days gradually start mixing in his regular diet, more at each meal. It should take about a week to get him converted back to his regular diet. Signs that things aren't going well, and he needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy. This could be related to the plastic pieces.

But if he just licked the bait he should be just fine and you are unlikely to notice any issues with him.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Related Dog Questions