Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She's keeping both eyes closed. She is diabetic and has

Customer Question

She's keeping both eyes closed. She is diabetic and has recently (1 1/2 mos) gone blind. She's not eating either. This all came about late yesterday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the dog has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Izzy - 10 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Izzy?
Customer: Not that I can think of. She takes 17 units of insulin twice a day. She's taking vetsulin
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Izzy. Any diabetic that stops eating is either unregulated or is suffering a concomitant disorder such as pancreatitis or renal insufficiency; both are reasonably common in our diabetics. Cataract formation and subsequent blindness is an unfortunate sequela to diabetes in dogs - even very well regulated dogs. Not eating one meal should dictate maintaining the same insulin dose as previously given. If two meals are missed, the dose should be halved. If three meals are missed, insulin should be discontinued and Izzy's vet consulted. Do you have a 24-hour veterinary facility available to you? Diabetics need their blood sugars checked initially as part of a more general diagnostic plan involving blood and urine tests. Izzy is then treated predicated upon the findings in such testing. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?