Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian

My dog just ate a small block of tomcat poison. How much

Customer Question

My dog just ate a small block of tomcat poison. How much Hydrogen peroxide should I give her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: about half of a small block of the "tomcat" mouse poison
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: she weighs 37 to 40 pounds
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup ate a block of TomCat poison

Induce vomiting by giving her 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1 tablespoon per 10 pounds of body weight orally, or mixed with a little ice cream or bread chunks, then take her out and run him around to get the peroxide fizzing.

DO NOT give more than 3 tablespoons per dose even though she weighs more than 35 pounds.

If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.

Make sure to do this outside. Some types of rodenticides produce phospine gas in the stomach and that is toxic for people and animals to breathe. Inducing vomiting outdoors helps prevent breathing in that gas should that be the type of toxin she ingested.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

If you cannot induce vomiting at home with peroxide the safest thing would be to take her to an emergency clinic and have them induce vomiting and follow up with activated charcoal.

Take the Tom Cat box with you so they can determine if any other treatment needs to be done.

But if you can get her to vomit the full amount, it has been less than 2 hours, and if this is an anticoagulant rodenticide then she should be fine if the toxin is vomited back up.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****