Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 21 month old lab we adopted in November she has

Customer Question

Hi I have a 21 month old lab we adopted in November she has been on antibotics several times for infection in her left back paw / The last one she just finished Monday after 6 weeks.Now today it it falring up again. She is also on apoquel 1 pill a aday. When wwe took her in the first time her muzzle and all paws were infected..now the back left is only giving us trouble..She is on zd diet and has been for months and plain white yogurt as a snack. I clean her paws everynite.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** was in 4 different shelters and came from the south and she still is very timid when people come over.could this be stress?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sadie?
Customer: They scrapped the areas for mange when we first adopted her turned out negative
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Sadie. I have a few considerations...

Has the skin been cultured in order to determine the best antibiotic to be administering? It's likely that resistance has developed to many antibiotics by now.

Apoquel can immunosuppress the local skin immune system to the point that secondary infection arises. It might be prudent to stop administering that drug until Sadie's infection was eliminated.

Where is the infection in that paw? Is it a general pododermatitis in which the entire paw is affected and swollen? Is it represented by lesions resembling boils between the digits - a canine interdigital furunculosis, instead? Can you upload a photo(s) of Sadie's paw to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/