Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I have a 6 month old small breed puppy who has a lot of

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a 6 month old small breed puppy who has a lot of gurgling noises coming from the gut and a decrease in appetite. Last night he was making some gagging noises around 3am. His last poop (early this morning, I think, he went on his potty pad) looked very normal. Should I be concerned?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Everything else seems normal
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear your pup has you worried. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Can you tell me if he has had any recent changes in diet including new foods, treats or human foods?

Does he ever eat things he should not such as toys, clothing, sticks etc?

Has he been fully vaccinated?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He did not eat objects or new foods that I know of, and has not been known to do so in the past. We are in a rural area and he does mouth and occasionally eat small amounts of rabbit and deer poop. He is fully vaccinated.Do dogs get giardia?
Expert:  Candy replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. Please give me just a few moments to type up your answer.

Expert:  Candy replied 2 months ago.

Yes dogs can contract Giardia and it is infact something we see often. This can cause vomiting, loss of appetite and almost always diarrhea. This requires a fecal examine for diagnosis.

Intestinal parasites can also cause this which is again a common problem with puppies.

He could just some digestive upset due to something he has eaten outside.

As long as you are sure he has not eaten any non food items and he has not has access to anything toxic then I think it would be OK to try some at home treatment.

1/4 of a 10mg tablet can help to calm the stomach. This can be given every 12 hours. You may also want to try a bland diet for the next 48 hours. A bland diet can be either boiled chicken or boiled hamburger and either rice or sweet potato.

If he continues to have trouble, stops eating or declines in any way then he should be seen by your vet

I hope this helps and he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional information and I will be happy to continue.

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating . Rating indicates that you are finished with this session and prompts Justanswer to compensate me for assisting you today. I am not compensated for my time until you provide a rating.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. A 1/4 tablet of what?
Expert:  Candy replied 2 months ago.

I apologize 1/4 of a 10mg Pepcid AC