Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

She threw up about 4 times last night, not that we know of.

Customer Question

she threw up about 4 times last night
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that we know of. Something that looked similar to playdough came up the last time
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: layla and she is 9
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about layla?
Customer: she is acting pretty normal. went to the bathroom fine this morning, ate breakfast but then threw up again just now
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that sweet Layla has a digestive disturbance caused by either something that did not agree with her or some form of stress. The treatment for this is as follows:

Fast Layla for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting has resolved, then wean Layla back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take your girl to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns. Since she is acting normal and wants to eat, this is most likely minor and will respond well to this treatment. My only concern is that , since she is older, the first sign of Kidney Disease is vomiting so if she is still having trouble, have your vet run lab work to make sure that this is minor.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****