PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My German Shepherd chewed the bottom of a bag of food and

Customer Question

My German Shepherd chewed the bottom of a bag of food and ate several pounds of kibble. He has pooped several times, is acting ok, but his stomach is hard and slightly bloated. Should I go to vet? Try to induce vomiting?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bogie. He's 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about He 's?
Customer: Nothing else unusual. Also, should I allow him to drink?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Have you seen any vomiting?
2) Is his stool normal?
3) Any gagging or retching behavior?
4) Is he pacing?
5) Still willing to lie down and get comfortable?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No vomiting, stool is normal to slightly mushy, no gagging, no pacing, lying down comfortably

Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 5-10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how the website will compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is it ok for him to drink? I have been withholding water

There is a medical phenomenon known as "food bloat" where a dog over consumes food and causes a substantial GI upset. It's not recommended to give volumes of water nor is it recommended to induce vomiting. Both of these can cause even more gastric distress. Instead, you should wait a few hours before introducing anything orally. This will allow some of the food to clear. Every hour or so, you should encourage him to get up and walk, which will encourage normal digestion and flow of food from the stomach to the intestines. If you begin to see any behaviors like panting, pacing, refusing to lay down, acting like he needs to vomit, drooling, etc. he needs to be examined promptly at your local ER.

Once you do introduce fluids, do it very slowly. The more water that goes into his stomach the more plump the kibble will become which will increase his discomfort. Many veterinarians will recommend a 24 hour fast until the food has had a decent chance to leave the intestines.

More info here: http://www.greenbrier-emergency.com/food-bloat-overeating-in-dogs/

If I can help further, let me know.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy