Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

We have a 3 year old GSP. Last Saturday, we found her lying

Customer Question

We have a 3 year old GSP. Last Saturday, we found her lying in the yard. She was unable to stand. When we initially approached her, we saw that she was urinating lying on her side. We brought her to the vet, where blood tests were run. Although no specific toxins were found, she was diagnosed as having a toxin. There was a slight elevation in her liver result. She was given IV fluids and meds for two days. She only threw up 1-3 times in the first 12-14 hours. She then came home and continued on prednisone and amoxicillin. She has regained a small appetite and more activity throughout the week. However, she still walks with stiff front legs and continues to shake. Do you have any suggestions for what's causing the stiffness and shaking?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Maddie's condition...I know this is frightening!

IT may be that Maddie had a seizure or that she has developed some form of neurologic issue that is interfering with her nerve supply to her legs that is causing this. It may be a toxin but could also be a form of infectious disease such as an Encephalitis that often will not show on routine lab work. The treatment that is being given to Maddie is what I would have done in this situation and the fact that she has improved is a very good sign. It is hard to know what has caused this in such a young strong sweet dog but since the medication is causing improvement every day, you can be sure that treatment is effective.

Injuries to her back or strong Epileptic seizures along with possible liver abnormalities could cause this and with any luck, Maddie will regain all of her functions in a short time. Further diagnostics may prove helpful in determining the cause such as an MRI or xrays.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Traci,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maddie. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta