Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Small dog daycare with the same 3 dogs for years. Daughter

Customer Question

small dog daycare with the same 3 dogs for years. Daughter moved in with a lady who takes in rescue dogs and also regular boarders.
Tonight, she brought her dog, Tallia over for me to watch for a couple,days while she has a long work shift. As she hopped down from the back of the couch onto the seat, I thought she stepped on one of her squeak toys. I looked under all the sheets on the couch toys! A little while later, she made the same sound again!! All I could think was it was a small cough with a squeak to it!
I googled "Kennell Cough" and the cough doesn't sound squeaky with a Kennell cough. Any idea what could be going on? It's only happened approx once per hour.
Sorry for the long intro but, thank you for a reply and if you have any idea what could be going on?
It's also a heat wave here. Today was high humidity and almost 100 degrees!!!!!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. How old is Tallia?
Customer: 4 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tallia?
Customer: She just had her yearly shots about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Although, i don't know about kennel cough. There seems to be a small, pea sized (feels like a fatty tumor), on her right rear hip area. Fairly near tuck up about 2 inches back from tuck up.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

What breed of dog is Tallia? Is she on any medications?

The coughing at you're hearing. Does it look/sound like any of these? I've listened kennel cough here for comparison.

Cardiac cough:

Kennel cough:

Collapsing trachea:

Reverse sneezing: