Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog has diarrah for two days. It is reddish. She doesn't

Customer Question

My dog has diarrah for two days. It is reddish brown. She doesn't act like she feels bad. Full of energy.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: Diarrah, reddish brown. Dog appears to feel good.
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn't seem to hurt at all. Just diarrah.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Just diarrah?
Customer: That is it. She eats well.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Have you been feeding her normally during the last two days?

Could she have gotten into anything unusual?

Is she spayed?

Any new foods, treats or people food?

Does she ever eat non-food items like fabric, toys, etc?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No change in diet. She is spayed. No to new foods, treats, people food. She trys to eat sticks. I haven't seen her doing that lately.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She i getting under the covers in bed more.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She does eat paper when she can get hold of it.
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Because this has only been going on for a very short amount of time, and since from your answers, we can rule out things like ingestion of a toxin, intestinal obstruction due to eating something non-food, and pancreatitis from eating greasy people food, I think we should just treat it like a case of simple digestive upset.
The gold standard for treatment of digestive upset in a dog is fasting. Generally the problem is acute (meaning it comes on quickly) and can be taken care of without much trouble.

If this were my dog, I'd fast her for 24 hours (providing she doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require she eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can leave a small amount of water available, but don't allow her to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in her bowl so that she can't gulp water will help).

After the 24 hours, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1-2 tablespoons every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor the dog for recurring vomiting. If the problem doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in her kibble over the next few days until you're back to just kibble.

If the digestive upset persists for more than another day or so, or if your dog becomes lethargic, begins to have bouts of vomiting, starts having bloody diarrhea or shows other 'unusual' signs, you should have her seen by a vet, just to rule out any sort of illness or parasite infection, but as a general rule, this clears up with just the fasting and then bland diet.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

YOu're very welcome.