PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

She swallowed a burr a few days ago and is still gagging and

Customer Question

She swallowed a burr a few days ago and is still gagging and throwing up bile and eating grass etc... not eating and stool is soft and black. usually this passes in a days but its thethrird day and she is still not well
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Phoebe 6yrs Wheaten Terrier
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Phoebe?
Customer: no, she has don't this before and been able to get rid of it but not this time
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) What is Phoebe vomiting up? Grass? Dog food?
2) Is she able to keep water down?
3) Has she had any human food recently? Any change in diet or treats? Bones?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Bile and or grass if she has eaten some. She has t had any food really. She usually eats dry but just now I gave her a small can of tuna with olive oil in it to see if that would help

I can give you some steps to take at home that should help alleviate the vomiting. I will also include information on a bland, higher fiber diet that should help bush the burr through if that's what is causing her symptoms. I am very concerned about the soft, black stool as this is often digested blood and can indicate a bleed in the GI tract. If these steps don't help to get her back to feeling better by tomorrow morning, she really must see a vet for symptomatic treatment with injectable medications and some diagnostics.

The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.

If your companion requires a more palatable food, try using pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Start small and give more as long as no vomiting is seen.

If this does not result in the improvements you’re wanting, it may be necessary to have your companion examined by a veterinarian and injectable medications for nausea administered. I’m particularly a big fan of Cerenia for vomiting as it tends to work quickly, does a great job and works for a full 24 hours. As well, your vet will likely want to start some antibiotics if they suspect a GI bleed with the black stool. Hospitalization may be necessary if she's reached a point of dehydration, too.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your girl today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?