Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She is a ueensland mix and is about 13 years old she had a

Customer Question

hi she is a ueensland mix and is about 13 years old she had a seizure for the 1st time last night and today she has rapid eye movement before she had the seizure she was really hot
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: sister
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about sister?
Customer: no she has always been healthy
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sister. Can you please describe to me what you saw which you're describing as a seizure? Her nystagmus (eyes flicking back and forth) are a vestibular (balance) disorder sign. Because she apparently seizured as well, a central (involving her cerebellum or brainstem) vestibular disorder is most likely. This would be worrisome for brain tumor in those areas in a 13 year old.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was hot in the house and she was eating a piece of steak she jumped off the couch hoping to get another bite and fell over on her side and then for a few seconds she tried to get up and kept falling over and running into walls she appeared to be disorientated she was drooling and panting as though she was hot then we calmed her and she slept through the night. This morning she had jerky back and forth eye movements she responds to us and she goes outside to use the bathroom but she seems a little mixed up. She has drank a little bit of water and had about a 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream no vomiting no diarrea

Thank you for the additional information. She suffered a complex partial seizure (previously called petit mal; also called psychomotor seizure) which is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, drooling e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) such as her disorientation/"a little mixed up" and/or behavioral abnormalities. Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. It has affected her cerebellum and/or brain stem as I mentioned earlier. Mark your calendar for this event and for just what you witnessed. Sister's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if Sister should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should she suffer another event within 24 hours of this one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. She would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?