Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

I wanted to peak with Dr if he is there. If he isn't I will

Customer Question

I wanted to peak with Dr Dave if he is there. If he isn't I will try again later, my first question is: is there any other way to test a dog for Tcc besides the ultrasound. I mean on an ongoing bases to seeing the tumor as grown
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Dave - nice to hear from you...

Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 8 months ago.

The only way to definitively diagnose transitional cell carcinoma is with ultrasound & biopsy of the tissue. To see if it's growing, ultrasound would be needed to actually visualize the size of the tumor.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hell, are you there
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's Hello, sorry lol
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 8 months ago.

Yes, I'm here.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did you just get my last question today about the ethyl alcohol question
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 8 months ago.

No, this is the first question I saw.

Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry, but don't see on the Just Answer website where the ethyl alcohol question is that you are referring to.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
sorry I got this all mixed up. Another vet answered the question I was asking about the ethol alcohol. I also was wondering what you think about the piroxicam side effects and what I coukd give to prevent that. She has been on piroxicam for one and a half months. I always give it with food and slipper elm which is supposed to cost the stomach
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 8 months ago.

Since Piroxicam can cause stomach upset, you can give an over the counter medication (no prescription needed) called Pepcid AC (the generic is famotidine). You could give 20mg once daily. This is an antacid/antinausea medication that is safe and may help prevent stomach upset.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay, thanks, ***** ***** how would I tell if she has stomach upset. Would I hear a lot of gurguling. If so, when should I give the antacid befor or after meal
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 8 months ago.

Symptoms of an upset stomach can include decreased appetite, vomiting, stomach gurgling. Some dogs can have a mild upset stomach, but show no outward symptoms.

You can give Pepcid before or after meals (it really doesn't make a difference in this case).

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thankyou so much. Also befor I sign off I just wanted to say, because you probably don't remember; I am the person with the 12.5 year old Belgian tervuren that besides the Tcc had to be spayed last Monday for pyometria and I was having a horrible time deciding what to do with the risks involved with the surgery at this point. You gave me piece of mind and enough courage for me to take her in to have the spay. She came out remarked lay well. I'm glad I had it done. Even if it gives 6 more months to her life it will be a blessing. When I adopted her at 10 years, 2.5 years ago, she was not in the best shape and I made a painful discussion at that point not to put her through spay surgery, but I made a mistake and have felt so guilty when she got the pyo. So now at least she doesn't have two things to fight. At the point she was at last eek the first priority, as you did mention was the pyo and the spay. The vet said by the shape that the uterus was in she had had pyometria for quiet a long time and still the breeder bred her when she was almost 10. Anyway, I am grateful that it is done, and I do feel glad that a got in touch with you and for the help an insights you offered.��
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for saying that and telling me the details. Yes, I certainly do remember discussing things with you before the spay surgery. I'm glad I helped with your decision, and helped to give you peace of mind. I very glad that Bailee is doing well after her surgery! She is lucky to have you as her friend.

Take care,

Dr. Dave

Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bailee. How is everything going?

Dr. Dave