Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Sher has some sort of while film over her left eye, Darby

Customer Question

Sher has some sort of while film over her left eye
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Darby and age 8 IS a king charles and I only noticed it today
JA: How old is Darby?
Customer: 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Darby?
Customer: is not the whole eye 3/4 covered
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has this been present?

Does Darby have any squinting or has she been rubbing at the eye?

Any redness, tearing or snotty discharge from the eye?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Noticed to today. She normally has some sleep around her eye so I thought it was that at first but this different.No snooty discharge that I have noticed and she is not rubbing at it
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
some other things she has been drinking a lot of water and panting the last two days
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

Now to see a white film like change to one eye is highly suggestive of corneal edema. This is the way the cornea shows inflammation (since it cannot swell like a finger or toe would) and is often related to traumatic injury to the eye, corneal lacerations or ulcers. We can also see this with allergies or irritant exposure, but often they rub and are uncomfortable with the eye.

With this all in mind, with how delicate eyes are, we need to tread with care. If you can see any dents or obvious damage to the eyeball itself, we'd want her to her vet urgently. Otherwise, you can monitor this closely and try flushing the eye with sterile saline. This can be purchased over the counter as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. These are eye safe and can be used as needed to flush out any irritants and reduce any bacterial present. Further to this though, if the haze doesn't settle over today, then we'd want a check with her vet. They can stain the eye to look for subtle damage and assess its extent. If mild, antibiotic eye drops or serum drops to facilitate healing can be used. Of course, severe damage may need further care (ie conjunctival grafts) but these sound less likely for wee Darby.

Overall, this corneal haze isn't likely related to the increased thirst and panting (which could both be related to the weather, metabolic/organ issues, or inflammation elsewhere in the body) but we need to be careful. So, we can flush the eye to seeif this reduces, but if not then we'd need to have this checked +/- bloods tested for her other signs to ensure we get these signs all settled for her and soothe that poor eye.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )