Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

OUR 2 1/2 YEAR OLD FEMALE GERMAN SHEPHERD DIES OF BONE

Customer Question

OUR 2 1/2 YEAR OLD FEMALE GERMAN SHEPHERD DIES OF BONE CANCER 10 DAYS AGO AND WE'RE WONDERING HOW TO HELP OUR 2 1/2 YEAR OLD MALE SHEPHERD DEAL WITH THE LOSS. WE'RE WONDERING IF HE KNEW SHE WAS TERMINALLY ILL?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: RUDY IS OUR SURVIVING MALE, GIRLDOG IS GONE
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about rudy?
Customer: NO, NOT REALLY. THE ONE QUESTION WE HAVE IS, CAN OSTEOSARCOMA SPREAD TO THE LUNGS IN 10 DAYS? OUR FEMALE HAD A LUNG XRAY THAT READ SHE HAD ONLY ONE QUESTIONABLE SPOT, THE SIZE OF A PENCIL ERASER (NOT BIG ENOUGH TO BE SYMPTOMATIC) 10 DAYS LATER WE WERE TOLD SHE HAD "INNUMERABLE LUNG LESIONS AND ONE IN THE LUNG TISSUE THAT MEASURED 6 CM IN SIZE - CAN THAT POSSIBLY BE, IN 10 DAYS?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about your very sad situation with Girldog and your surviving dog Rudy.
I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.
In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• Were the first and second x-rays taken by the same vet?
  • Did the second vet get to see the first x-ray?
  • How is Rudy doing at the present time?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply.
Thank you.