Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We have a boxer that was outside the other day, and we

Customer Question

We have a boxer that was outside the other day, and we noticed later on that her back leg was swollen. She was checked for bites and stingers but none were found. We checked online to see if dogs were able to be given Benadryl, and we gave her the pill form for about two and a half days. The swelling minimally went down, so we stopped. Today, about a day and a half later, we noticed blisters on her opposite inner thigh and under belly area only. What should we do since the vet is not available? She was given a bath and antiseptic applied in the area.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Lissa, can you upload a photo(s) of these blisters to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I keep trying to upload, but I am unable

I understand. ***@******.*** can help you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I sent an email with the account number and a picture to***@******.***

Thank you. It can take up to 24 hours to reach me but I'm chained to my computer by evil gnomes and so I'll see it as soon as it arrives and respond to you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was wondering if you have received the e-mail yet or have anything else to offer

No, nothing has arrived as of yet. I really need to see what you're seeing to be more accurate for you. Swelling of a hind leg with no discernible injury in a 12 year old Boxer is worrisome for lymphedema - a swelling of protein-rich fluid often associated with a local malignancy or metastasis from a distant site. Lymphedema is often overlooked by generalist vets because envenomations and puncture wounds are far more commonly associated with such swelling.

How the other leg's/abdominal skin changes are related to this swollen leg is unclear to me at this time.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried several ways to upload and email a photo and apparently it was never received. I paid $19 t be told basicly nothing could be done until he could see what I was seeing. This I understand. Although the doctor was very nice, I was unable to get an answer and paid for something I already knew
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

It hasn't arrived yet but should today. Please be patient.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Since It has been over a day and you were not able to help, I would like a refund please

I'll let me moderator know. You should contact***@******.*** as well.