How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 25168
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dog ate a mushroom out of yard...try to get it away but ate

Customer Question

Dog ate a mushroom out of yard...try to get it away but ate it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 9months briscoe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about briscoe?
Customer: no
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Because of the difficulty in differentiating between toxic and nontoxic mushrooms, any ingestion of unidentified mushrooms by pets should prompt decontamination procedures - emesis, activated charcoal, etc. If you have a 24-hour veterinary facility available, please bring Briscoe to it at your earliest convenience. If not, induce emesis with 3% hydrogen peroxide dosed at 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon) per 5 lbs of body weight by means of a small poultry baster placed between Brisoe's cheek teeth and cheek. He should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, repeat the same dose. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It has been over three hrs and don't think this was worth the time.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're correct. Now you need to watch Briscoe carefully for signs of intoxication and the signs can affect any system of his body. Of most concern is the hepatotoxic mushrooms which can cause anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, uncontrolled bleeding, liver failure and death days after ingestion of the mushroom. It would be prudent to have his vet check Briscoe's liver enzymes tomorrow. Please continue our conversation if you wish.