Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

The dog penis is swollan on the tip and remains outside the

Customer Question

The dog penis is swollan on the tip and remains outside the skin.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hercules
JA: How old is Hercules?
Customer: 16
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hercules?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I"m sorry to hear of this with Hercules. You’ve described paraphimosis which is most commonly seen in young intact dogs but also occurs in castrated dogs. The etiologies (causes) include developmental preputial anomalies, e.g., a small preputial opening or hypoplastic prepuce; infections such as transmissable venereal tumor (rare) and balanoposthitis (infection of the prepuce); priapism (prolonged penile erection with or without sexual arousal); and a hair ring or scar tissue that has entrapped the penis. Paraphimosis is most commonly associated with a hair ring in my practices or a relatively stenotic preputial orifice. Ineffective preputial musculature that can’t effectively retract the penis into the prepuce is less common and usually associated with neurologic disease such as myelopathy (spinal cord disorder).

Conservative care involves the use of cold compresses and sugar or honey in an attempt to reduce swelling of the penis if swelling is present. Removal of the hair around the preputial orifice and applying a lubricant such as K-Y jelly and manually replacing the penis into the prepuce is then attempted. Failure to replace the penis should be considered an emergency and attended to by Hercules's vet.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for you input.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.