Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have a female bassett hound. She wont eat and occasionally

Customer Question

Hi there. I have a female bassett hound. She wont eat and occasionally throws up yellow bile.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the hound eat anything unusual?
Customer: She is drinking water
JA: What is the hound's name and age?
Customer: Daisy she is almost 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: No I did switch food but its been a few weeks this is happening off and on
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like she may have some type of GI infection if this has been going on for a few weeks. It may also be something like IBD (inflammatory bowel disease).

I would start with an exam and some bloodwork to rule out metabolic causes (kidney disease, liver disease, addison's, diabetes). If that is normal, I may try an antibiotic and some GI protectants. If that doesn't work, then I would go in surgically and get biopsy samples of the gut. This is the only way to diagnose IBD and also to rule out a partial GI obstruction.

If you want to try something at home first, you can pick up some Pepcid (Famotidine) and give 10 mg every 12-24 hours. This is an over the counter antacid that can help with GI upset in dogs.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.