Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

Um I have a 9 week old puppy and we are in a waiting period

Customer Question

um hi. I have a 9 week old puppy and we are in a waiting period for pet health insurance (2 weeks). We were trying to wait it out to get her next vaccination/worming set, but today I noticed she has blood in her urine. Peeing frequently (like can't hold it it just comes out) And she pushing her butt down long after she is done peeing. So i think she has a UTI. :(
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lola
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lola?
Customer: She has whipworms where she was on Metradizide and was given interceptor last week.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your dog is not feeling well.

This does indeed sound like a urinary tract infection.

She will need antibiotics to treat any infection. She will need to have her urine checked to ensure there is an infection. She could have another problem present: urinary stones, bladder deformity, etc., so a good exam is key here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay. My vet can't see her until tomorrow. She is in some pain because she whines she pees and starts licking herself. I have some of her previous Tramadol medication given to her last week- does tramadol help with decreasing pain related to a presumed UTI (just something to help her through the evening/night).
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

Tramadol is absorbed very poorly in dogs and generally does not work well with them. However, if that is all you have (vs rimadyl, metacam, or gabapentin) I would use it. how much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is 14lbs. I do have Rimadyl for my older dog 50mg chewables. Lola is a 14lb 9 week old Boxer Puppy. I know in humans things like Apple Cider Vinegar and Cranberry juice can help curb some symptoms. Does your experience show this might be helpful in dogs?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

Rimadyl is perfect. Typically it comes in 25, 75, and 100mg chewable tablets. Check to make sure what size you have. She can get 12.5 mg twice daily or 25mg once daily. That will help with her comfort.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay thank you so much! Hopefully this will help her for the rest of the day and through the night.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome. This should make her feel comfortable.

I wish you both the best. Have a great rest of your day!

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I just wanted to check in. How is your Lola doing? Is there anything else I can help you with? Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish you and Lola the best. Have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again.

I noticed you have not accepted or rated this conversation yet and I wanted to see if there was anything else I could help you with.

Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish both the best. Have a great day!