Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I wanted to know what the risks are of an 11 month old dog

Customer Question

Hi I wanted to know what the risks are of an 11 month old dog pregnant
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She is a small breed dog she looks like a rat terrier mix. The father is a Maltese shih stuz mix
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is a healthy dog. What are the chances of complications? Are they high? Is there anything i can do to help the pregnancy go smoothly? The pregnancy was not was an accident
Expert:  Candy replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear you have some concerns about your dog being pregnant. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Most dogs even though young will do fine, however often we worry about their mental maturity. In that area it is not uncommon to see young mothers not becoming the best mothers and some will not even want to nurse so bottle feeding could become necessary.

Since she is so young we also want to make sure she has really good nutrition during her pregnancy. If she has transitioned from puppy food to adult dog food then you would want to put her back on puppy food while pregnant and nursing.

With small breeds regardless of age some of the other things we worry about is that they may be to small to deliver naturally and a c-section may be needed. This is defiantly something you want to discuss with your vet.

Small breeds are also at higher risk for serious and often life threatening drop in calcium levels while nursing. The following article will discuss this is more detail. This is not something you have to worry about while she is pregnant but it is important that you know the warning signs once the pups are born. LINK

Nutrition and proper veterinary care during pregnancy should help to insure a good outcome.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating . Rating indicates that you are finished with this session and prompts Justanswer to compensate me for assisting you today. I am not compensated for my time until you provide a rating.