Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My pup has had diareah. Today she had a mucus ball in her

Customer Question

My pup has had diareah. Today she had a mucus ball in her stool
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Darci, 17weeks
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Darci?
Customer: She tookDrontal plus 5 days ago, vomitit 5 hours later, 5 times. Activity is good, normal eating and drinking, but diarrhea the past 5days
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Darci eat anything unusual?
Customer: No mess, and mostly at night-last night 8-10 times during the day the usual 3 times. Didn't eat anything that I know of. Possible some wood chips. We have decorative wood chips and she often try's to chew them
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Darci is having this problem.

Diarrhea this frequently in a puppy is a big deal.

This could be due to upset stomach from eating things outside (like wood chips) or it could be due to other things: other GI parasites besides worms or parvovirus infection.

The ideal thing is to have her checked out by your vet today to ensure she is just having a bit of upset stomach. They can do other testing if needed: parvo test, stool check, etc.

You can try giving a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for 24 hours and giving some canned pumpkin (for fiber) and see if that helps firm things up. If there is no improvement over 24 hours, she really should see the vet.