Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

My mini Australian died yesterday after going outside for

Customer Question

My mini Australian died yesterday after going outside for about 10 minutes. He came into the house started sneezing, went into convulsions and was dead in 10 minutes.
After he died he had clear pink liquid coming out of his nose. Can you tell me what happened?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 9 months ago.

Im so sorry to hear about your loss. Sometimes is can be impossible to tell the cause of death after the fact and you may want to consider having your veterinarian perform a full post mortem exam. However, there are some things that we can speculate about given what you have told me. The pink fluid from his nose makes me think that there was fluid in his lungs. Fluid in the lungs can be cause by several things including heart disease, electrocution, pneumonia, thoracic trauma, prolonged seizure activity causing non-cariogenic pulmonary edema or cancer are among the things that come to mind. Did he have any pre-existing medication conditions? How old was he?

The fluid may be a secondary issue and the convulsions sound like a seizure. Was there anything that he could have gotten into- any toxins in the yard or house that he may have eaten?