Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

I have a dog who constantly licks and bites his behind and

Customer Question

I have a dog who constantly licks and bites his behind and tail. There is also red patches
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: My dog
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Sorry, I keep hitting the enter key on my computer. His name is ***** ***** he's 5 years old.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that Blue is uncomfortable. Are you using a topical flea control product on him? Does he do this seasonally or year around? Has he ever been on a limited allergen diet?

It sounds classically like an allergy issue. We commonly associate itchy skin with allergies in dogs. Ear infections are also associated with allergies ("ears and rears"), does able have a history of ear infections as well?

Treatment for allergies is dependent on what is causing them. Flea prevention is vital for dogs that have fled allergies as even one flea bite can make a dog very itchy. Food allergies are addressed by a limited allergen diet and avoiding those things that the dog is allergic to and environmental allergies can be controlled by steroids and immunomodulating drugs to suppress the immune system or lessen the inflammatory response.

Does this information seem helpful to you? If not, I am more than happy to do what I can to help you and Blue if you can give me more information about him.

Hi William,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?