Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog tummy is all red almost like sunburn. she had the

Customer Question

My dog tummy is all red almost like sunburn. she had the diarrea and throwing up over the weekend. we got back from camping on wed where she was in the water but just her feet and face to grab a rock
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did tummy eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. How old is tummy?
Customer: she will be ten in october she does get aniexty issues and my husband and sons were gone all weekend to some races as soon as they got back she was fine. just noticed the red belly on sunday night . is there something to put on it all though she doesnt seem bothered by it. I did notice a couple of blister too
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about tummy?
Customer: no
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Blistering is a specific skin change seen with sunburn (solar dermatosis) and autoimmune skin disorders (unlikely in this case). Dogs do suffer from solar dermatosis particularly on the abdominal skin as you've reported. Treatment consists of avoiding further exposure to sunlight but if this is unavoidable, sun block (zinc oxide) or sunscreen (titanium dioxide) should be applied to susceptible areas twice daily. If lesions are infected (the blisters?) appropriate systemic antibiotics should be administered for 2-3 weeks.

With sun avoidance, early cases of truncal solar dermatosis usually heal completely. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.