Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

She is pregnant and is having schedule C-section on 8/15/16.

Customer Question

she is pregnant and is having schedule C-section on 8/15/16. She is having diarrhea, is there anything I can give her to stop it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if she is already having diarrhea, we need to tread with care. Mum’s immune system is often weak towards the end of pregnancy and even worms can cause her diarrhea as they prepare to infect her pups.

With this in mind and in regards ***** ***** question, do make sure she is up to date with her worming. Panacur (fenbendazole) is our wormer of choice for pregnant dogs and would be ideal here to make sure there are no parasites causing this.

Otherwise, we are limited in what we can safely use for pregnant dogs, but you can slow her diarrhea with a few options. To start, you can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to her food as these will bulk up the loose stools. Another option would be OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ Do make sure to avoid any of these with Aspirin or Salicyclic acid since these can thin the blood and aren’t safe for her upcoming surgery. As well, do avoid Pepto Bismol (same reason) and Imodium. Finally, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI here. Of course, if her signs linger, then we’d want her vet involved in case we may need antibiotics to nip this in the bud for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )