Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

She has an ear infection in booths ears. Can I give her

Customer Question

Hello she has an ear infection in booths ears. Can I give her clindamicin?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Two Tone and she is 4. But I don't have the money to take her to the vet
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Two Tone?
Customer: There is discharge coming out both ears that smells really bad and the insides of her ears is really inflamed
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, Clindamycin would not be a good choice for an ear infection. It is an antibiotic we tend to use with good results in dental or mouth infections, but for ears we'd want to be using an antibiotic that targets skin bacteria (ie Cephalexin, Amoxicillin, etc). As well, yeast and ear mites may also need to be addressed (which won't respond to any antibiotic). So, at the risk of causing bacterial resistance and not clearing this, we'd be best not to try this antibiotic for her.

Instead, you can flush her ears with salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) as an ear safe means of removing as much bacteria and yeast as possible .This can be done 2-3 times daily. As well, to rule out ear mites you can use a multi-species anti-parasitic treatment like Advantage Multi or Revolution/Stronghold. These will help clear mites from the inside out and are a safe way to treat even if we don't have her vet looking down the ear canal to make sure its safe to use intra-ear treatments (since doing so when the ear drum is damaged could cause serious harm).

Finally, if funds are a concern and bacteria/yeast are suspect, there is help. First, if you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via VCA: ( & Banfield : ( This will cover the visit and you'd just need to pay for the medication they dispense. Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database ( or ASPCA’s database ( Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help address her ears even if funds are an issue.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.