PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My pug got her anal gland expressed and now is refusing to

Customer Question

my pug got her anal gland expressed and now is refusing to eat and a foul odor is leaking from her butt
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Penelope, she is an 8 yr old pug.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Penelope?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

The foul odor you're noticing is from the anal gland material. This is normal. The glands are located right inside the anus, but when the glands are expressed we still have some material left inside of the body itself. This usually expresses by the next time the dog defecates.

It sounds like she's unwilling to eat due to discomfort from having the anal glands expressed. Give her a few hours to see if this passes. If it does not, we can give aspirin in a pinch. The dosing information is here:

You should see an improvement in the 6 hours that follow the aspirin, should you need to give it. You can also try some different, appetizing foods for her like canned food, pureed baby food in flavors like chicken and turkey, etc.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has already been 3 days..

If this is the case, she needs to be rechecked. Something else may be going on past just the initial discomfort of having the anal glands expressed.

It doesn't happen very often, but sometimes pets can feel unwell and with a little stress of something like anal glands being expressed it can kick them over the edge into showing active symptoms of an underlying illness. 3 days of not eating indicates that we should look deeper. Your vet may wish to try a medical approach such as some GI medications to ensure that nausea is not contributing, pain medication, etc.