Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 16 year old poodle ate a bunch of apricot pits. I had no

Customer Question

my 16 year old poodle ate a bunch of apricot pits. I had no idea he was eating them, they are on the ground in our yard. He threw up a lot of food while I was gone yesterday and that is where i found several of the pits and then found more where he had thrown up some more pits in his bed. During the night he woke up at 2am, 3am, 5am, and 6am and just started wondering around but had a hard time walking. I took him out again at around 8 and he tried to go poo but had a hard time crouching to do his business and nothing much came out. He falls over and is very unsteady on his feet. Oh and he is also completely blind. But usually navigates around really well, but he is now bumping into things a lot more.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the poodle?
Customer: He is very thin, has constantly lost weight over the past year, I did have him checked out a few months ago and he was having kidney and possibly liver problems, so my vet had me feed him some special food which made a huge change in him up until today. He was really perky and navigates well around the yard and the house, had normal bowel movements and seemed to really rally. This is a huge change today.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your poodle. We need to clarify if his vomiting and ataxia ("drunken sailor") have resulted from apricot pit ingestion or his pica (ingesting of non-food items) has arisen secondary to the gastrointestinal irritation seen with both hepatic and renal insufficiency. The former would be worrsiome for obstruction of his small intestine and the need for surgical intervention while the latter might be addressed medically.

Pragmatically speaking, I'm going to avoid having a 16 year old's abdomen opened up if at all possible and so I might X-ray him to better understand if he has more apricot pits left in his GI tract and I would repeat diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests to see if he has reached the point of major organ failure. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?