Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My dog recently had surgery (2 weeks ago) due to

Customer Question

My dog recently had surgery (2 weeks ago) due to regurgitatung excessively for several days, even with anti nausea meds. Since the surgery he has been looking at the ceiling as if he sees something directly above his head. He has always done this occasionally but is now doing it almost constantly. He also appears extremely agitated (licking, sniffing obsessively) and does not want to be with is (VERY unusual!). He is on 2 antibiotics, an antacid and a pro-motility med, all temporarily. He does not seem to be in pain and the regurgitatung has stopped. I'm concerned the behavior may be from the anesthetic. Is this possible?
Info- He is a 2 yr old Bichon who has until now been completely healthy.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. Welcome. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Brinkley. This behavior that he's doing is interesting. I'll be honest and say that it shouldn't be due to the anesthetic that was used from the procedure. At this time out from it, that wouldn't be an issue. Could he be acting like this due to one of the medications that he's on at this time? Sometimes antibiotics can cause a little stomach irritation and this can cause some odd behaviors. What I'd recommend here is to video a few of these events that you're seeing so you can take that to your vet to have them specifically see what you're seeing at home. After they view the video, then can then determine if it is an issue that warrants a work up or further care. I'm glad that he's not appearing to be in pain and the regurgitation has resolved.