Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Our lawn was treated with talstar pro. there was a patch

Customer Question

our lawn was treated with talstar pro. there was a patch covered with birdseed that we believe was also treated which our dog has eaten from. last evening she started vomiting and when she drinks water she soon vomits it back up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Beady age 11 1/2 she is a cocker spaniel
JA: How old is Beady?
Customer: 11 1/2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Beady?
Customer: she takes prednisone for leg issues
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The Talstar Pro's active ingredient is a synthetic pyrethroid called bifenthrin. These pyrethroids are considered of low toxicity to mammals but can cause vomiting, agitation, tremors, and even seizures when ingested in sufficient quantity. There is no specific antidote to pyrethroids. Any treatment is symptomatic and supportive.

I would fast Beady for 24 hours but leave her water down. If drinking induces more vomiting, please replace her water with ice cubes for her to lick. If vomiting persisted or abated only to arise once again when Beady was fed, she'll need the attention of her vet who will treat Beady parenterally - in any manner other than orally. I would expect IV fluids and electrolytes to be administered in order to replace those lost in her vomitus, and an injectable antacid and antiemetic to be given as well.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.