Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

We are thinking he ate grass and my husband had previously

Customer Question

We are thinking he ate grass and my husband had previously sprayed weed killer on it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He is a weimaraner and he is throwing up... he threw up grass first yesterday and after that it's been liquid and this morning there was 4 different piles of brownish mucasy liquid stuff that smelled hotrible
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He is almost 2 He is very healthy and active and he's been sleeping and moving slowly
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Do you know what weed killer was sprayed? Most weedkillers are not toxic to dogs, any toxicity is gone as soon as they dry on the plants. If he is vomiting, it may not be the weed killer.

Dogs often eat grass when they feel sick although we are not sure why they do. It is more likely he was feeling sick already before he ate the grass. Vomiting and mucous diarrhea can be from many things: eating something that is indigestible or spoiled, parasites, infections. Many of these episodes pass on their own in a day or two but some can be more serious.

If he is vomiting a lot, do not try to get him to eat or drink or take medication. If the vomiting slows down, try to get him to drink liquids but in small amounts of water, broth, Pedialyte or Gatorade or ice chips. You can try famotidine, 10 mg twice daily (brand name Pepcid AC) for vomiting, and Pepto Bismal or Imodium at half the adult labeled dose, for the diarrhea.

If he won't eat or drink at all, if the vomiting does not slow down, if his gums appear pale rather than a normal bright pink, he may need medical attention.

Let me know if this helps, and what other of your questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK I'm just worried because it's like I can see his heart beat in his stomach....
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry but I am not able to make calls for the website. We can continue in this format, or I can opt out and you can wait for an expert who can make calls. There is a small additional fee for phone calls.

Can you tell me if his gums appear a normal pink, or pale? Or sent another picture of his gums with his lips pulled back?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Since he has "gastroenteritis", inflammation in stomach and intestines causing vomiting and diarrhea, he would have an increased blood supply to his intestines and stomach, and you might see his pulses more pronounced in that area.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't think he has diarrhea he has just been throwing up and he won't go outside at all
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we used this yesterday inside
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

The gum color is good.

Possibly the piles of brown mucous liquid you saw were diarrhea.

Let me look up the active ingredients of the flea killer. Where did you use it?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

This product is meant to use in the house and should be safe used as directed. Did he come in contact with it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My husband sprayed it on all the carpets which is in 3 rooms
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Unless your dog was sprayed directly, this is probably not the cause of his vomiting, but keep him out of the sprayed rooms today just to be safe.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We've been trying to get rid of fleas and sprayed everywhere and used round up in the yard
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Do you use any good flea products on him? Rather than spray the house with chemicals, I usually recommend all the dogs and cats in the house be treated with the newer really safe products, such as the Seresto collar (lasts 8 months and literally safe enough to eat; they designed it to dissolve if the dog eats it) or Frontline (not absorbed into the body, only works on the skin). As new fleas hatch in the house, they need to find a dog or cat within 24 hours. If they find a dog or cat with one of these products onboard, the fleas die immediately.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

How is he doing now? Was my answer helpful; have I answered all your questions?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?